Diabetes is a syndrome of disordered metabolism, usually due to a combination of hereditary and environmental causes, resulting in abnormally high blood sugar levels. Diabetes develops due to a diminished production of insulin (in type 1) or resistance to its effects (in type 2 and gestational). Both lead to hyperglycemia, which largely causes the acute signs of diabetes: excessive urine production, resulting compensatory thirst and increased fluid intake, blurred vision, unexplained weight loss, lethargy, and changes in energy metabolism.
In 2000, according to the World Health Organization, at least 171 million people worldwide suffer from diabetes, or 2.8% of the population. Its incidence is increasing rapidly, and it is estimated that by the year 2030, this number will almost double. Although the statistics are scary, our job at S&K Pharmacy is to make sure that people with diabetes live healthy, productive lives. We work closely with the patient’s medical practitioner and nutritionist to control the disease. Our drug therapy management is top-notch, providing the patient with a chance at a normal life.
- We carry a full line of diabetic medications and supplies
- Our inventory of testing and monitoring equipment is unmatched
- We offer consultations on diet and exercise, taking into consideration the patient’s medication therapy
- We have a consistent stock of all supplies so patient services are never disrupted
- Our attentive pharmacists make sure to notify the patients of any risks and conflicts that are existent in their medication or nutrition plan