WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO COMPOUND A MEDICATION?
To prepare, to formulate, to mix, and make ready from basic chemical ingredients, a dosage from specific to the needs of a patient, as ordered by a practitioner. That practitioner might be a physician, a dentist, a nurse practitioner or a veterinarian.
Compounded medications may be the best choice when a commercial product is not available, or the particular dosage form is not available. For example, a tablet dosage form, may be available but, a liquid from may not. Therefore, to properly dose a child, the pharmacist would simply compound a liquid dosage form. It can also be cream of ointment dosage from that is not commercially available or not available in a particular strength needed to treat a particular problem, or a completely new dosage form is desired, to solve a particularly challenging therapeutic problem.
We at S&K Pharmacy use top quality products to compound medications that will meet the specific need of the patient!
GIVE YOUR PATIENTS THE BENEFIT OF OUR TOPICAL PAIN SOLUTIONS
Topical creams give prescribers the opportunity to treat patients directly at the pain site with locally applied, concentrated formulations. This allows for a more effective analgesic outcome and eliminated the possible side effects traditionally associated with standard oral and injected pain medications.
- Superior therapeutic outcomes through locally enhanced topical delivery
- Improved patient compliance
- Fewer overall side effects than typically found with oral medication
- Reduced risk of dependency /abuse
- Concentration of therapeutic levels of medication low serum concentration
- Avoidance of first-pass metabolism and GI upsets
- Decreased risk of drug-to-drug interactions